There is so much to like about Transit and his video Calgary (above). Where to begin? I can't remember who tweeted the YouTube link or what was written in the tweet that inspired me to click on it but I did. And as soon as the video kicked in, I was hooked.
- The song - It's a great song - pure and simple - with a great groove. It does what every good song in any genre does; it tells a story.
- The visuals - Calgary looks amazing. It looks like a real honest to goodness cool beautiful city. People who visit our burg notice that but I don't think many of us who grew up here realize how big and cool it's getting until we see it reflected in a video like this.
- The stereotype - It takes an immigrant (!) like Transit to come out and say it - we're not all cowboys - even though many of us have known that for years. When I lived in Ontario, people would find out I was from Calgary and assume they knew my politics, attitude and taste in music. They assume Calgarians are anti ... uh.. well.. anti a lot of things that suggest sophistication or tolerance. And I would have to educate them. In this video Transit just comes out and says it. He sings "We're not all cowboys" because we're not.
- The mayor - How cool is it that Transit thought to ask and how cool is it that the Mayor @nenshi said yes.
- The voice - Jann Arden's appearance in this video is the icing on the cake. What a treat to hear her voice like honey dripping through the beat and then soaring above it. It just works so well. @jannarden is a Calgary icon, a Canadian star, an old school voice next to an up-and-comer singing. She sings the praises of a city not usually know for its arts and music.Plus there are images and names dropped of a whole bunch of indie and hip hop artists that are buzzing in YYC.
WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
Wale featuring J.Cole – Bad Girls Club
WHAT IS THE RECORD OR MAYBE TWO, OR THREE OR FOUR THAT INFLUENCE YOUR MUSIC THE MOST?
WHAT IS THE FIRST RECORD YOU BOUGHT?
The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill - Actually I didn't buy it, I stole it from my older sister and ended up playing it too much and I wrecked it.
WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE COVER TUNE? (SONG AND COVERED BY WHOM?)
WHAT IS THE RECORD YOU COUNT AS YOUR GUILTY PLEASURE?
Any Young Jeezy record is a guilty pleasure for me. It’s definitely not my style of rap but every now and then I like listening to it and pretending I’m a thug.
CURRENTLY WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE RECORD TO LISTEN TO ON THE ROAD?
Manchester Orchestra - I’m Like A Virgin Losing A Child
WHICH OF YOUR RECORDS IS YOUR FAVOURITE ?
My latest CD 22. It’s not out yet though…
WHAT IS A RECORD YOU BOUGHT THAT YOU WISH YOU DIDN'T?
Jay-Z - Kingdom Come --- It’s not even that it was that bad of a record but after coming out of retirement and all the hype behind that, I got so excited for it to drop. When it came out, I skipped school (I was in grade 12) and walked 45 minutes each way in the rain to HMV. As soon as I got home and heard that track he did with Usher I wanted to cry.
Transit on Facebook
Find him on MySpace