Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The 2011 Records That Won't Leave

My New Years Resolution is to make sure not to read Best Of 2012 lists in December of 2012. Why? I find them infuriating. Music critics tend to fill them with indie records they receive for free, a lot of them obscure and hard to find. Most of us never got to hear them, thus subtly suggesting that, as critics they are infinitely cooler than you and me.

So much for looking ahead 12 months (let's hope the Mayans are wrong.)

No list from me as 2011 comes to an end, only a look at some records that came out this year that refuse to die. And by that I mean they will not leave my iPod. I have an 8 gig iTouch that I take to work every day. I routinely rotate the music deleting records to make room for new purchases.

There are three records that stubbornly refuse to leave and will remain in high rotation for the foreseeable future.

Ron Sexsmith Long Player, Late Bloomer

Other songwriters love him and after you hear this record, you will too (If you don't already). I don't know what else to tell you about this record other than; when I'm having a bad day I put on the earbuds and push play. My blood pressure drops and a smile comes across my face.

There's a great story behind this record. Sexsmith almost left the music business, but then decided to try one more trip to the studio. The story is told in an excellent documentary film that airs on HBO Canada - Love Shines. This record was up for a Polaris Prize this year. It deserved to win.



Elbow Build a Rocket Boys

Speaking of music prizes, I guess they are good for something. I found out about this great British band when they won this year's Mercury Prize. I clicked on their website, saw the cover of their award winning record and realized I had seen it before but passed by a number of times. The music is gentle pop rock yet it has an edge and compares to Peter Gabriel's more tender creations.

The song that gave this record its title (Lippy Kid) has both musical and lyrical hooks that won't leave you and I mean that in a very good way. Another appeal to me, I guess, is that the lead singer sorta looks like me (not exactly rock star good looks) so I can live vicariously.

Here's a review of the record by the Guardian, and here's an interview with the band at the CBC Radio "Q" website. (Scroll down to look for Elbow but also, check our a lot of good music interviews here.)

Elbow hit it big in Britain in 2008 with their previous record "Seldom Seen Kid" which I plan to hunt down early in 2012.



The Decemberists The King is Dead 

I was introduced to this band at the 2009 Calgary Folk Festival. They were the final act after a long day and followed a blistering show by rap funk band Arrested Development. I figured I'd give The Decemberists ten minutes before dragging my ass home. I ended up staying through their performance.  They played an entire album The Hazards of Love, an epic rock roots opera ala Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick. I have read that a lot of critics didn't like that record but I loved the music, particularly as it was preformed live.

I bought their 2011 record The King is Dead expecting it to be similar. I figured it would take a few listens to appreciate. It was nothing like I expected. Instead, this record is filled with three and four minute county folk/roots-rock songs with sophisticated and literate lyrics befitting their nerd-rock reputation. I love this record and I probably listen to it all the way through at least two or three times a week. Here's a review from Pitchfork.

No comments:

Post a Comment