Monday, January 2, 2012

Flight of the Muppets

I snagged free tickets to see The Muppets movie when it opened in November, actually before it opened. I won free tickets to take my 10 year old girl to see a sneak preview. I love the Muppets. I have always loved the Muppets, particularly their TV series. But there was one thing I never liked about their movies - the songs.

The movies always wandered towards the edge of saccharine schmaltziness until the Muppets broke out in song and then they dropped into the deep end. I liked the way the new movie started but it was getting close to the opening number and I braced myself. And shock of all shocks it didn't suck.

I learned why.

The songs were written by Bret McKenzie of Flight of the Conchords. There was something immediately likeable about the songs which were still Muppety-sweet but just a bit loopy.

You can really tell it's the Conchord's style when you compare this ...


..to the rap in the Muppets movie performed by Chris Cooper playing the evil villain Tex Richman.



And this Academy Award winning song. 


  

1 comment:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed The Muppet's movie! So much nostalgia and a laugh a minute. It will end up in my collection. Childhood: relived. :)

    ReplyDelete