Thursday, February 2, 2012

Press Play> Vol.17 Terry Tufts, Singer Songwriter, Guitarist

Terry Tufts is an unsung hero of Canadian music. You owe it to yourself to become acquainted with the wonderful songs he crafts and sings and with his incredible guitar playing. He is up there with Cockburn and Fearing. Yes folks he's that good.

Of course the place to start is his website and you'll also find his music on the Borealis music label. If you're lucky to live in the corner of Ontario where Terry lives, you might even see him perform live.

(Here's his bio from his website.)

"Terry Tufts is a finger-style guitarist living off-grid with his wife and daughter in the bush in North Frontenac, Ontario.

He has been playing music for enjoyment since 1963 and as a profession since 1974. His father's job with the Canadian Government moved the family to Denver, Colorado in the U.S. in the 1960's at a time when the folk and rock music genres were influencing opinion everywhere. Other postings that influenced him musically took him to Ottawa and Rome. 

Upon returning to Canada to complete high school, he irremovably stuck his head into the soundhole of an acoustic guitar. He suffers from the affliction to this day, coupled with frequent electric outbursts that last long into the night.

David Francey and Terry Tufts
In 1974 he moved to Fredericton, New Brunswick, to begin pursuing his own musical career as a singer-songwriter and guitarist.

As well as performing his own material, he has worked as a session musician and sideman for a variety of artists including Tom Paxton, Kathryn Briggs, David Francey, Colleen Peterson, Laura Smith, Laura Bird, Ian Tamblyn, Lynn Miles, Bill Garrett and Sue Lothrop, Charlie Sohmer, The Arrogant Worms, Wayne Rostad, Susan Aglukark, Tracey Brown, and George Fox."


I had the good fortune of hosting Terry and his family in my home when he performed at the Windsor Folk Club in Windsor, Ontario. A few years ago he visited my home in Calgary during a Western Canadian tour including a gig at the Nickelodeon Folk Club.

Terry doesn't gig much outside his backyard these days. I'm told his performance in January, 2012 at the Acoustic Grill in Picton, Ontario was recorded. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on that record when it's available.  

Terry Tufts is not only an amazing musician but a wonderful and warm human being and a dear friend. Last time I saw him, he gave me and my family a private concert in our living room. That's not going to happen again very soon so thank goodness for Youtube.



Terry Tufts and I reconnected via email and of course I had to ask him to
PRESS PLAY> and as I expected, his answers were, for the most part, unexpected.

What have you been listening to lately? What is on your iPod, CD player, turntable these days?

Same thing I've been listening to since 1973: Space Opera out of Fort Worth/Dallas. It's some of the most intelligent music to have come out of the early 70's - Byrds/Zappa/Stravinsky.

Reams and reams of electric 12 strings, harmonies to die for, quality vocals.

What they did with 16 tracks out does ANYTHING being done with more and no voice tuners

I could have had a pension, I could have been a doctor, but after hearing this album, nothing could bring me back into the fold. 


Guitars still rule.



What is the record (okay maybe two or three or four or more ) that influenced your music the most?

Space Opera - Space Opera

Gordon Lightfoot's 1st album

John Martyn - Solid Air 

Pentangle This is Pentangle



What was the first record you bought?

The Beatles - Help the 45 rpm single

What’s your favourite cover tune? (Song and covered by whom?)

That I perform? You Can Discover by John Martyn. (Originally on Martyn's 1975 album Sunday's Child.) Nothing comes to mind that I listen to.

(Musical Immigrant's note: "Terry performs other terrific covers including a version of With A Little Help From My Friends (Beatles) and I Remember You (Frank Ifield) both on his Two Nights Solo record and a wonderful cover of For Lovin' Me on a "various artists" Gordon Lightfoot tribute record called Beautiful.")




What is the record that you count as a guilty pleasure?

Space Opera

Currently, what’s your favourite record to listen to on the road?

Space Opera

Which of YOUR records is or are your favourite(s)?

None of them.. Hate 'em all. Kill 'em all and break the eggs. Redo EVERYTHING.

(Musical Immigrant's note: "He may hate them all but there are incredible songs on all of them. I love his last studio record A Better Fight. My favourite song is Black Velvet Elvis.

If you are new to Terry's music the one I'd recommend you buy first is Two Nights Solo. It is Terry the way I love him, just voice and acoustic guitar PERFECT.")


What’s the record you bought that you wish you didn't?

Space Opera. Like I said. I could have had a pension, I could have been a doctor.




Contact Terry HERE

Buy Terry's records HERE and through his website.


No comments:

Post a Comment