Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Press Play> Vol. 20 Joe Nolan, Singersongwriter, Guitarist, Calgary Folk Festival Songwriting Contest Winner


My first and only encounter, so far, with Joe Nolan adds up to a single song.

It turned out to be a very important song. A wonderful song. One good enough to win him first prize in the 2012 Calgary Folk Music Festival Song Contest in the Pros and Pros category. He received a not-too-shabby prize - $3000 in cash and an appearance at the Calgary Folk Club. I was on the four-person judging team for the contest and we all agreed it was worthy of the top prize.

Here's part of the lyric and a link so you can listen.

High as the Moon

"You only love me when you're high as the moon, 
you only live me when you're high.
Well I'll see you later, on the street
Where we'll trip into each others evening
You only love me when you're falling down, 
you only love me when you're falling."

Even though I've only ever seen him perform just one song, I can tell that Joe is an amazing talent. Between his beautiful lyric and soulful guitar playin (he made his blue telecaster cry!) he won me over right away. His talent has been noticed by some other heavy hitters. He was accompanied during his contest appearance by one of Calgary's master musicians Russell Broom

His 2010 record Goodbye Cinderella includes a who's who of Nashville hotshots and was produced by Colin Linden and engineered by John Whynot.   

Joe was nominated in the Best New/Emerging Artist category at the 2011 Canadian Folk Music Awards. He has been performing non-stop over the past few years building an ever growing fan base. He has been sharing stages with established artists including Todd Snider, Colin Linden, Sam Baker, Gurf Morlix, Dave Alvin and the Guilty Women, Matthew Barber, Oh Susanna and the legendary Peter Asher. He'll be trading licks with even more at the 2012 Calgary Folk Music Festival where he is appearing. I know I'll be checking him out at Prince's Island Park because, frankly, one song is not enough. 

I asked Joe Nolan to PRESS PLAY> and it's no surprise his influences are a mixture of roots, blues and rock n roll. 

The Great Muddy Waters
What have you been listening to lately? What is on your iPod, CD player, turntable these days?

What is the record (okay maybe two or three or four or more ) that influenced your music the most?

It was definitely guitar playing, especially when I was younger, that influenced me. Same with rock and roll and melodies. Melodies were huge. My favourite song for years was Crimson and Clover.

When I was young I loved the Monkees, Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Bruce Cockburn, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix...

As I got older I was attracted to Lyrics more and more. Waits, Young, Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell, Nick Drake, Bruce Springsteen, Rickie Lee Jones, and I'm really loving the Tragically Hip these days. Gord Downie makes some of the nicest melodies.

These are a few the records that have influenced my music among many many others...

Tom Waits - Closing Time 
Neil Young  - Decade
Dire Straits - Dire Straits
Bob Dylan  - Blonde on Blonde
Eric Clapton - Cream of Clapton



What was the first record you bought?

Joe's garage sale purchase
It was either Offspring - Conspiracy Theory at a garage sale or Blink 182 - Dude Ranch

What’s your favourite cover tune? (Song and covered by whom?)

Right now it would be Jeff Buckley's version of I Know It's Over, a song written by The Smiths.

What is the record that you count as a guilty pleasure?

Hmmm, I don't really have one. I dig everything I listen to and I don't have any problem saying it or defending it.

Currently, what’s your favourite record to listen to on the road?

Rickie Lee Jones - Sermon on Exposition Boulevard.
Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA



Which of your records is your favourite?

My favorite one has not been made yet.

What’s the record you bought that you wish you didn’t?

Well I remember when I was way younger I bought Pink Floyd's record - The Division Bell from Walmart. I listened to it and found it quite distasteful. I brought it back and said it was scratched. Not sure I feel that way anymore now though.



Follow Joe on Twitter @joenolansongs
Find Joe on Facebook here and here 

Get in touch with Joe's manager: neil@indeliblemusic.com
Get in touch with Joe's agent: chris@mongrelm.com
Get in touch with Joe's guy in Europe: hakan@rootsy.nu
Get in touch with Joe: joenolanmusic@hotmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment