Wednesday, June 15, 2011

OH HMV, Where Art The New Blackie and the Rodeo Kings CD?

Dear HMV Canada:

I went into one of your stores today to buy the new CD by Blackie and the Rodeo KingsKings and Queens. I hope you’ve heard of it. The band is made up of three of Canada’s top roots, blues and folk, and singer songwriter/musicians who have extremely successful solo careers. This band has a number of other successful and critically acclaimed recordings. You can find out more about them at their website
BARK - Fearing, Linden, Wilson

I wanted to buy their new CD because it came out on Tuesday and, from what I have heard on Youtube and social networking sites, it’s really good. Not only does it feature the three principal members of the band Stephen Fearing, Tom Wilson and Colin Linden, the record is full of duets with an amazing collection of American and Canadian based female vocalists:  Rosanne Cash, Exene Cervenka, Holy Cole, Emmylou Harris, Amy Helm, Janiva Magness, Mary Margaret O’Hara, Sam Phillips, Serena Ryder, Pam Tillis, Sara Watkins, Lucinda Williams, Cassandra Wilson and Patti Scialfa.

I am guessing that is why they decided to call the record Kings and Queens. Okay it's more than a guess.

You know, because the record came out on Tuesday June 14, 2011, I thought you’d want to sell lots of copies to fans like me, but apparently you don’t or somebody made a big boo boo. You see I went to buy it at the HMV store in Chinook Mall in Calgary, Alberta, Canada today but they didn’t have any in stock. I looked among the various new release displays, no CDs. I looked in the racks under their name and you know what? There wasn’t a single BARK CD old or new.
I went to the fellow behind the counter and suggested “Certainly you must have received the new Blackie and the Rodeo Kings record right?”

“Oh yes,” he replied. “We received ONE copy and we sold it earlier today. Funny thing, the fellow who bought it asked me if we had any more because he wanted to buy more but we only received the one.”
I further queried, “Any thoughts as to why you only received one copy to sell? (in one of the bigger HMV stores in Calgary?)

The fellow mumbled something about “central purchasing.” This encounter has inspired some curious questions.
  1. You want to sell CDs to make money. The label wants you to sell CDs. The band wants you to sell them. I want to buy one (at least one) and likely I am NOT the only person in Calgary who wants one. So why would you only stock a single copy of the CD the week it is released, a time when there are reviews out and buzz on the Internet?
  2. I understand you may not sell as many BARK CDs as you would say Bieber or GaGa. Don't you realize that you will definitely sell more than one copy at this store and probably more later on? I know this because, the audience for this music skews older and is more likely to buy CDs. And when the latest CD by Bieber is done, you will still be selling copies of this Kings and Queens record.
  3. I also wonder if this would ever happen on the release week of other major or even minor bands and artists from the States. Somehow, I doubt it.
You might suggest. “Hey Eric, why don’t you just download it?" It is available on  iTunes and another service I frequent Emusic.com. In fact when my subscription loads up again in a week or so I do indeed plan to download it from Emusic. And by the way I am curious why I didn't see it on your HMV download site with the other BARK albums?

I do also intend to buy the CD because I like this band a lot and I am funny that way (the generational thing again) I like to own discs because of the packaging and the booklets with lyrics and info so I can hold them in my hand because I am a music geek. I may also buy the vinyl. You see HMV, you make a lot of money off guys like me but today alas you didn’t.
Now I understand you may not be entirely to blame on this. Maybe the label didn’t print enough CDs and you are waiting for your order. It that’s the case I’d love to hear about it and I would love to set the record straight on my blog. Meanwhile I am a little angry and extremely disappointed with HMV.

Yours truly, angry and disappointed.
Musical Immigrant.

Eric Rosenbaum

ps. You can follow Blackie and the Rodeo Kings on twitter @therodeokings

No comments:

Post a Comment