Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Press Play> Vol. 4 Gordie Johnson - Big Sugar

Gordie Johnson plays guitar really well and really loud. I could leave the introduction at that but there's more, much more. Johnson has made a huge mark on the Canadian music scene with his reggae/rock/blues band Big Sugar and more recently with his cowboy metal band Grady. He has also been working as a producer with number of Canadian and American artists including the recent solo release of Gov't Mule front man Warren Haynes' Man in Motion as well as records by Taj Mahal, The Trews, The Joel Plasskett Emergency, Wide Mouth Mason and Reel Big Fish.

Gordie was born in Winnipeg and grew up in Windsor. These days he spends a lot of time border hopping - he lives in Alberta and Austin TX - but he is a proud Canadian as he proves every time he plays his screaming rendition of Oh Canada.

Gordie, his good friend Kelly "Mr. Chill " Hoppe and the rest of Big Sugar have regrouped and released a new record Revolution Per Minute. You can hear the first single Roads Ahead at the bottom of this page. They're also touring Canada this summer blowing the roof off a concert venue near you.

I am pleased to say that when I asked Gordie Johnson to Press Play > he did.

WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?

A lot of Ethiopian jazz. Mulatu Astatke and Tilahun Gessesse in particular.

WHAT IS THE RECORD (OKAY MAYBE TWO OR THREE OR FOUR ) THAT INFLUENCED YOUR MUSIC THE MOST?

My music is constantly being influenced by my environment. Lately, I would have to say that I have felt the effect of some early ZZ Top and some late 70s Jamaican sound system music

You can't possibly understand how many records I have. A friend who passed away, left me a Staples Singers gospel record that was formerly owned by Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones. So it not only has great collector value, but even greater sentimental value.

WHAT IS THE FIRST RECORD YOU BOUGHT?
                          
Actually, the first record that I acquired was, in fact, a stolen copy of The Who, Live At Leeds. My parents bought me Black Sabbath Paranoid for Easter, the year that I got too old for candy. 

The Who, Live at Leeds

WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE COVER TUNE (SONG AND BY WHOM)?

Right now, I would have to say I Don't Need No Doctor (by Ray Charles) covered by Humble Pie, or Walk A Mile in My Shoes (by Joe South) covered by Syl Johnson.



WHAT IS THE RECORD YOU COUNT AS A GUILTY PLEASURE? 
I, occasionally, get on a heavy metal kick. Soilent GreenInevitable Collapse In The Presence Of Conviction is one record that I turn to when I'm in that mood. 


CURRENTLY, WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE RECORD TO LISTEN TO ON THE ROAD? 

Junior Brown, Live at the Continental Club.



WHAT'S THE RECORD YOU BOUGHT THAT YOU WISH YOU DIDN'T ?

I recently bought a bootleg burn of a Stone Love dancehall session. Kinda got ripped off, but along with it, I lucked into an amazing Barrington Levy compilation that has extremely rare versions and mixes on it. So, in the end, I guess it was worth the gamble.


You can follow Big Sugar on twitter @Big_Sugar_Music

You can find out when the the band will be playing a gig near you here.

And you can find out about some of the gear Gordie uses here

1 comment: