Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A week in the life of my music addiction


I thought I’d tell you about the music I bought last week which demonstrates to you the length and breadth of my addiction. It can also inform you there are still some good places to but music in Calgary.


That’s the name of the CD and I guess the name of the band. John Popper is the lead singer harmonica player with the American blues/rock band Blues Traveler. I have always liked this band and I was in the mood to buy something I hadn’t heard before and on the rock side of things. It’s a pretty good record but it not on fire. It sort of smoulders. Descent songs. I like Popper’s voice and he has a distinctive harp style. If you like Blues Traveler, chances are this is worth having. You can follow via Twitter @blues_traveler



I bought this on CD at Heritage Posters and Music in Calgary Alberta Canada. They’re real specialty is vintage and not-so-vintage rock posters. They have an amazing selection. I would suggest it’s one of the best in Canada. They also have a huge selection of vinyl and probably the largest selection of blues, folk, jazz and blues CDs in Calgary – both used and new. If you still miss Megatunes, Heritage Music is a place to check out. You can now follow on twitter @HeritageMusic_

Next to a music shop in my neighbourhood – Inner Sleeve in Marda Loop

Jack Bruce –Cities of the Heart. 

Bruce was the bass player with Cream (Ginger Baker, drums Eric Clapton guitar) and he wrote a lot of the band’s songs.  I didn’t know this when I bought the two CD set but it turns out it is a live recording of concerts celebrating his 50th birthday in 1993.  I haven’t listened to much of the record because frankly I keep going back to the two excellent versions of old Cream songs – Sunshine of Your Love and Spoonful. I love covers of popular songs, and it’s sort of cool to hear the original artists covering their own tunes. The late Gary Moore (died in February 2011) is playing guitar on this record and he’s great.  According to the website, Bruce formed a band with his former Cream band mate Ginger Baker and Moore and put out a record.  I am going to have to hunt it down. @jackbrucemusic


Was (not Was) What up dog? – bought used on CD

I probably have this CD buried in my collection. I know I also bought the LP and I may even still have a copy, but anyone who knows me knows that won’t stop me from buying a CD like this if I see it cheap. It’s easier to grab this for about five or six bucks than to hunt it down. Was (not Was) was an eccentric R and B rock band of the Was brothers David and Don Was. It includes their only hit Walk Like A Dinosaur but my favourite song is Dad I’m In Jail – okay it’s not really a song but it’s really funny.

 Steve Earle - I’ll Never Get Out of the World Alive -- vinyl single

This single was released as part of Record Store Day a couple of weeks ago.  That’s when a number of songs from various artists were released on vinyl – 45 or LP – and sold in stores across North America. They were limited pressings and Canadian stores didn’t necessarily get the record they asked for on that day or at all. There was a small big with late deliveries and leftovers and this Steve Earle record was one of them. The song is a cover of a Hank Williams tune and the title of Earle’s new recording. It’s not on the recording but I have the Earle version and it makes me happy.  





As for the Inner Sleeve – it’s a straight up vinyl store. They have CDs – some new and some used and you have to really hunt for bargains. The vinyl selection is terrific and they have common and popular records as well as a lot of rare and vintage. They also have a fine selection of vintage turntables and stereos plus needles and cartridges.

Also picked up this week on CD at HMV

Emmylou Harris - Hard Bargain
Steve Earle - I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive 
City And Colour and Eminem - Recovery
Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere on an iTunes download.

And a compilation CD in Mojo magazine -  This is a Compilation of The Black Keys The Name of this Compilation is Brotherhood. I will likely devote an entire blog entry (or two) to the wonders of Mojo.

No comments:

Post a Comment